Sunday, January 16, 2011

Depressed Much?

I know it is not my week to post, but I can not stop thinking about Tess. Yes, I sound a little bit like nerd and overachiever, but wow! Women during the nineteenth century were incredible. They took garantuan mental and physical abuse by that of having to deal with unfair treatments,unjust political situations, and becoming prostitutes like Melia in 'The Ruined Maid'. Any women before the ratification of the nineteenth amendment who went through such tramatic events of rape, neglect, and unequal rights must have gone through some difficult times... good thing things have changed. Reading this novel and the in class poems have really enlightened me that womens suffrage still has not really be achieved;although I am not complaining I do not want to be forced to enroll in the army when I am 18, but you still see women being controlled by their husbands, not being able to prosicute the people who rape them, having to sell their body's to make end's meet, and not having equal rights as men(even though the constitution states everyone has equal rights and the federal government can not deny anyone's right to vote based on sex). I admit women's contributions to the world and how they are viewed has dramatically changed, yet of miniscule advantage. Alot of what is going on today is parallel to an author's character in the nineteenth century. I'm sorry, but it is still somewhat rediculous and depressing.

But overall good book.
-Vaness C.

11 comments:

  1. Vaness- I am glad you posted even if it was out of turn! The things you are saying are really important. As a young woman about to go into the world ad an adult, are you more prepared than Tess? It is easy to see what is lacking in terms of Tess's power, but I'd there anything she has that women today lack because of the progress made? Must we be willing to sacrifice anything ad we seek equality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize for the typos - autocorrect hates me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading Jane Eyre, and while that book more enlightened and excited than it depressed me, I'd still have to agree with you that the plight of women has ever been quite difficult. It is certainly better now. We don't have to worry that there are only a few occupations open to us. We don't have to rely on relatives sharing their wealth, or having no male relations to inherit. We are encouraged to speak and express our minds, and have many alternative options to becoming trophy wives.

    Yes, it is still not completely equal. Underlying social pressures, tradition, and our own physical limitations do get in the way. But it is far better for us now than before. Though it is sometimes fun to imagine life in those gorgeous dresses, sipping tea, enjoying society, and dancing, I am very grateful that I am living now!

    -Tori Greaves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually reading Jane Eyre, but I have heard from those reading Tess of how depressing it is. I completely agree with you in that the women of 2 centuries ago were greatly admirable. They went through so many things we would not put up with today without suing. Society has progressed but women are still viewed unequivalent to men as we can see merely from paychecks. However, since we are part of the newer generation I believe it is our job to try and gain more equality for future generations and allow society to once again move forward. -Dorothy Zuniga

    ReplyDelete
  5. When reading Tess, I have had the same thoughts. It is so sad how unfairly women have been treated in the past, and even how we are still being treated unequally. One thing that really upset me in this book is how Angel didn't forgive her when he found out about her past. Seriously, it wasn't her fault and is something she shouldn't have been blamed for. It just proves how unfairly women are treated and shows that even today we need to do all we can to be considered equal. -Taylor C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taylor C.,
    You are my twin. I was shocked and irratated that Angel did not forgive Tess. It was not Tess's fault for her being raped and I think that his actions contributed to her lack of confidence and blaming herself for everything. Yet, I also believe that if a young woman in today's society never mentioned her pregnacy to her fiancee, the fiancee would still dump her.. but definately not run off to Brazil.
    I am also peeved by the characters. Randomly the author introduces and bids adeux to characters every other chapter;but that may just be in my opinion.
    -Vaness C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although, I am reading Jane Eyre I also feel the same way. I am depressed by the way Jane is treated in the first few chapters by the Reeds and by the Ingrams when they come to visit Thornfield Hall. However, I also am very angry at Jane. I came to a point (after Jane left Mr. Rochester and ventured out on her own) where I no longer wanted to read the book. Jane's actions frankly pissed me off (excuse the language) because I was starting to like Mr. Rochester. But not to worry, I got past my angry feelings and began reading again. And I am currently at a part of the book which I am enjoying. (I am four chapters from the end) Does anyone who has read Jane Eyre feel the same way? (Haha. I know you do Vaness!)

    -Shelby F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't read Tess, but Jane Eyre has many similar topics in it. She is treated terribly for no apparent cause throughout the book other than the fact that she has a low social status and is a female. I think that today is dramatically different from the nineteenth century though. Women can pretty much do anything a man can do now and it is completely acceptable by pretty much everybody. and I also agree with you Shelby :)
    -Chad L.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Tess, and its such a depressing novel. Women during this time were treated like animals, slaves its sad to see that these women had so much to give, weresmart but were not giving the chance because there were not enough in society. Sadly this still happend in many parts of the world. Women are just as equal as men and no women should be brought down because of her gender.

    mayra de la torre

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay so after reading this, I was like yeah! we should get more rights, as a woman being empowered is something I treasure and take pride in, but in our world today, especially in the United States, the women today take advantage of the freedom we have, while I was reading Jane I realized that our society is not appreciative of all that we have, women today go to sugar daddies and take the easy way out to provide for them selves. One thing I wish we could get back is the integrity and the dedicated handwork us women used to prize our self on. What is wrong with our society?
    Mariah N.

    ReplyDelete