Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Albert Camus and his Absurdism

A few weeks ago in class we were supposed to put together a chart with the different philosophers and philosophies as a team. In my team we each assigned ourselves a philosopher, and if you haven't yet read the title of my post, I took Albert Camus.
Generally Camus believed in Absurdism. Though personally I knew very little about this pihlosophy before I looked it up. Basically, it is the belief that we struggle to find the meaning of life in a meaningless world. If that sounds pessimestic to you, it's because it is. As I started learning more about the philosophy I realized that I had to find out more about Camus himself and maybe that would lead to me to understand the philosophy better. Turns out Camus was raised as a Catholic though later turned atheist which perhaps could answer the question of his philosophy. However in the 20th century he had participated in the Resistance movement during World War II and even spoke out for human rights during the reign of Stalin. For someone who had gone to such great lengths to protect human rights, I can't believe he would devote his life to believing in the absurdity of life and the world. 
After a while I started to realize that the philosophy, on some level, actually makes sense. Camus had lived during a time of war and destruction which without a doubt influenced the way he viewed society. But even today almost everyone searches for the meaning of their own lives, or even life in general, at some point. I wouldn't go so far as to call the world absurd and meaningless, but the idea that life itself requires some kind of explanation is relatable.
- Sapir L.

6 comments:

  1. I read Camus's book, The Stranger, which indeed reflected his philosophy on absurdism. As I was doing this assignment (researching philosophies), I couldn't help but to think that not one individual philosophy would be correct because there are just so many. There are so many we can relate and agree to. I must agree that the world we each come from definitely influences our own way of thinking and outlook on life- thus Camus's philosophy.

    Boa K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not do research or read anything on Camus, but he has some similarities views as Nietzsche and his philosophy, surprisingly. He saw the world as nothing, there was no god, humans were naturally bad, and life was ultimately meaningless. Although this philosophy is extensionalism his ideas are comparable to your research of Camus. Your reflection on his philosophy is so very interesting.Thank you
    -Vaness C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I choose Camus in my group as well. I personal agree with absurdity a lot. Well of all the philosophies I identify most with Absurdity. But I have to admit that it's a tricky concept to understand. We all value our lives and existence so greatly but at the same time but we know we're all just going to die and therefore our actions are meaningless... I just try not to think about the "big questions" and live my life day to day.
    -marian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sapir, I love the way you write! It's like i can picture you actually saying this to me. Anyways, I agree with your view on Absurdism. While I don't share Camus's view that the world is absurd and meaningless, it's definitely a complex, difficult thing that takes explanation and understanding. Life has worth, why else would we be here if it was meaningless?

    -Dayna M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I personally didn't do specific research on Camus or Absurdism, I find it strange yet interesting how Camus grew up Catholic and fought for human rights but later believed in the absurdity of life. If you're fighting for human rights, doesn't that mean you find value in the lives of others? It seems contradictory but I can see how the impact of World War II and the destruction it caused could have changed his views. With so many people in the world and each his or her own experiences, it's unfathomable how many different philosophies and perspectives each has on life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed the philosophy unit of English this year and I particularly enjoyed learning about the different forms of Existentialism. Although the views of Camus are very odd, I don't think they're that crazy if you put yourself in his shoes. Yes, he didn't see meaning in life, but that does not mean he couldn't be passionate about secular issues that he felt were important, such as human rights and war. As all existentialist, he was about being in charge of his own destiny in a world that he felt was pointless but not impossible to find value in.
    ~Bobby R

    ReplyDelete