Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Of Worth

This past week I have been asked a similar question twice: to pick something of worth.  In English it is to pick a book that is of literary merit written in the past thirty years, and to eventually discuss if it is of worth to study.  I had to quickly convince myself that Harry Potter wasn’t a good idea for an advanced literature class and looked through a list to pick- from the mostly unheard books- a book that I might think would be interesting to read.  After class I went to lunch and was presented a similar question.  As this year is senior year, I was asked if I would like to be in the senior video, and to tell about the most meaningful thing that has happened to me over the course of high school.  I don’t know about the rest of the seniors but thinking about the most important thing that has happened to me over the course of high school is hard.  I went home for the weekend and spent a while thinking over what I should pick.  What book would be worthwhile to read?  What event has defined me in high school? 
In the end the two questions were answered by the same though process.  What has defined me is by doing something familiar something that has become a part of my life since I was little.  I decided to choose a book I was familiar with, one that I owned and has enjoyed before.  I picked the most meaningful thing in my life was something that had been painful at times and I still have the scars to show from it.  I picked a book that had also been painful to read at times, to feel pain with the characters.  Finally I picked a book and an event that has changed me mentally.  I am not the same person I was before and after this event and reading this book.  Both occupy my thoughts often, as you reader can see as I write this post.
Finally, both the book, The Lovely Bones, and earning my black belt in taekwondo were journeys.  Both journeys took me a while.  I’ve been training since I was nine, half of my life, for my black belt, and never understood truly the ideas in The Lovely Bones but now I feel that I have grown enough to be able to understand to accept and to continue to grow.  Does that make sense?  Is my reasoning sound?  I wanted to have something of worth to show a journey not easy, sometimes not fun but both are rewarding in the end.
To me, that is true worth.
-Emily S.

7 comments:

  1. Definitely sound reasoning if you ask me! It reminds me of what we are reading right now in the Poisonwood Bible. After their experience in Kilanga, each woman must go off and live the rest of her life, trying to find meaning and purpose and to reconcile herself with her past. It wasn't the easy things that truly defined them, but the hard things and the way they pushed through them. It was the failures, the pain, the trials, and the tragedies. I believe Adah says it best: "The power is in the balance: we are our injuries, as much as we are our successes."

    Any process which takes a little effort, requires a little pain, but which we push through anyway, will help define us in the end. We hope it will also refine us - make us better as we continue on our way.

    - Tori Greaves

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thoughtful post! Determination has been a real key for me throughout my life and when I face troubles and failure I try my best to persevere and get right back up again. In the end, I'm sure there will be something rewarding awaiting all of the effort and time you put in. Keep up the great work with your posts.

    Joel B. (Dragonfist Bandits)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So touching!! Something of true worth is only accomplished when the thing you are working and striving towards means something to you, on a deep and personal level. The accomplishments you mentioned above remind me of some of my accomplishments, and the feeling that comes came over me when it was finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully agree with the fact that something of worth is something that you obtained through not only fun but also hard work and difficulty. The best things in life are things you earn and your black belt is definitely of great worth to you as an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was really deep. The concept of taking a journey to obtain something that is meaningful was something that i had forgotten. Thinking of an event that has defined your high school career was really hard though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was very relateable. This said, I feel that it was very appropriate and well written. It is funny how easy we lose track of ourselves and it takes only a difficult, yet fulfilling task of doing a research project to makes want to define ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that it's sometimes difficult to figure out what is truly meaningful and valuable to our lives, especially when we're still in the process of developing as mature adults. I'm glad that you came up with a conclusion yourself!

    ReplyDelete