Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Solitude: Changing as Much as Technology

            If you are reading this, you are, in a way, communicating at this moment.  If you comment on this blog, then a conversation begins- even though we are not near each other.  Recently, we read an essay entitled, “The End of Solitude” which describes how in today’s world, more and more people are interconnected due to cell phones and internet.   If you have a Facebook page, simply being of the internet- as you are now- usually leads to a trip to your page.  This shows this increased connection with others as frequent Facebook trips lead to more comments, statues, and likes that others can read and then respond to- which shows that the idea presented in this essay is true.  When you are connected to people in this way, how can you be alone?
            That being said, it is possible to be alone in today’s world.  Solitude has changed; it is now feeling alone whether or not you really, physically are.  When in a crowded room or visible on Facebook chat, you can still feel alone.  This is where I disagree with the article.  It’s not the end of solitude; it’s the evolution of solitude.
Emily S.

1 comment:

  1. As a frequent Facebook user, I definitely agree with your "Facebook Chat" idea, like when I end up not talking to anyone on Facebook IM or if no one I want to talk to is on. I still physically and mentally am alone, and solitude is still existent. It's not as if our society is trying to avoid solitude, we just seem to loathe it. Solitude is actually a great time to contemplate and think about one's life and how it is progressing, where he has been, and where he wishes to go.
    -Nick B.

    ReplyDelete