This week in class, we worked on a poem called "To Be of Use" and wrote a response to it. I personally enjoyed the response because I rewrote the poem with the descriptions of the people I love. Because I love writing poems, I also enjoy reading them. I think it is fascinating that so much meaning and depth can be hidden inside of a poem that just seems confusing. The idea that anything, even random animals, can be used to describe people, and describe them well, is amazing. Reading a poem is like solving a puzzle - you have to really think about the figurative language and what it means. But the funny thing is that the meaning of the poem is quite often given away in the title. The title, "To be Of Use" is talking about the people that Marge Piercy loves, people who do something useful and meaningful with their lives. Often times, people get so caught up in interpreting the poem that they forget the biggest hint is in the title - at least i do. You see, there are so many aspects to reading and understanding a poem that it makes it a challenge, which makes if kind of fun. Call me a nerd but I actually really enjoy the process of interpreting and understanding a poem. (:
<3 Lisa L.
I really liked your post about the poem, especially your line, "reading a poem is like solving a puzzle." The insight you give to how you read a poem is both interesting and fun- and not nerd like at all.
ReplyDeleteEmily S.